This Weeks Sunnah
Sunnah of rinsing the mouth after drinking milk
There is a very easy sunnah our beloved Nabi ﷺ practised after drinking milk.
We find in a hadeeth that our Beloved Nabi ﷺ drank some milk and then called for some water. Once he got the water he rinsed his mouth then said “It (the milk) contains fatty grease.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
We all probably already practice this sunnah as none of us like that greasy and sticky feeling in the mouth after drinking milk.
But because we are unaware of it being a Sunnah we are not gaining the reward of practising a Sunnah!
So, what is the Sunnah?
1) Drink milk (this in itself is a Sunnah!)
2) Drink sitting down, with the right hand, with three sips. (these are three more sunnah! Click here for the sunnah method of drinking)
3) After drinking milk read the dua after drinking milk (yet another sunnah!
اللَّهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنا فِيهِ وَزِدْنَا مِنْهُ
Allahumma baarik lana feehi wa zidna minhu
Translation: O Allah! Bless us in it and give us an increase in it. (Tirmidhi)
4) Once we finish drinking milk we should get water and rinse our mouth. (this week’s sunnah)
What do we learn from this Hadeeth:
1) Milk contains fatty grease.
2) It is Sunnah to rinse our mouth after drinking milk.
3) Oral hygiene is important.
4) Nabi ﷺ was particular with ensuring his mouth was clean.
Why do we rinse out the mouth after drinking milk?
We may realise after drinking milk, due to the fat content in dairy products, our mouth feels sticky and uncomfortable and will also develop a slight odour.
So rinsing the mouth with remove these.
Subhanallah! How amazing was our beloved Nabi ﷺ who taught us all these beautiful actions!