There are 5 pillars in Islam. The 5 pillars of Islam are duties which are obligatory on all Muslims. These are Shahadah, Salaah, Zakaat, Saum and Hajj.
Download and colour in the poster. Once completed, Ask and adult to help you go through the following basic points about the 5 pillars:
1) Shahadah: The 1st pillar is Shahadah. Shahadah is to believe that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad ﷺ is His messenger.
2) Salaah: The 2nd pillar is Salaah. Salaah is prayers, that are performed five times a day. Salaah is performed at dawn, mid-day, late-afternoon, sunset and nightfall. Each salaah is performed facing towards the Ka’bah. Salaah is compulsory on all Muslims. The names of the salaah are, Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib and Isha.
3) Zakaat: The 3rd pillar is Zakaat. Zakaat is charity given to the poor and needy. Each year Muslims are required to give 2.5% of their wealth to the poor and needy. With this, all optional extra charity that is given is rewarded and is known and sadaqah.
4) Sawm: The 4th pillar is Sawm. Sawm is fasting (not eating or drinking) throughout the day in the 9th month of the Islamic calendar which is known as Ramadhan. It is an obligatory act for all adults and children from the age of 10.
5) Hajj: The 5th pillar is Hajj. Hajj is to visit the Ka’bah, in Makkah during the Islamic month of Zul – Hijjah. It is obligatory for all Muslims who are sane to perform Hajj at least once in their lifetime. Everyone wears white clothes to show we are all equal.