What to do on the 15th Night of Sha'baan
Amongst the nights of Sha’baan is a very special night known as Laylatul Bara’ah which falls on the 15th night of Sha’baan.
On this night, Allah Ta’ala descends to the first heaven and says:
Is there anyone who is asking me for forgiveness that I may forgive them?
Is there anyone who is asking for sustenance that I may give them?
Is there anyone who is in difficulty that I may remove this from them?
And Allah Ta’ala continues to ask of various needs of His servants till fajr time. (Ibn Majah)
So this night is a very amazing night where we can ask of Allah Ta’ala and Allah Ta’ala will be giving in abundance Insha’allah.
Freedom from the fire:
Our beloved Nabi ﷺ says regarding this night that: Jibraeel عليه السلام came to me and said, ‘This night is the fifteenth night of Sha’ban. Allah Ta’ala sets free from Hell during this night, souls equivalent to the hair (and wool) of the goats of Bani Kalb.’ (Bani Kalb possessed the largest number of goats in the Arabian peninsula.) (Al-Bayhaqi)
However, Allah Ta’ala will not look (with mercy) even on this (auspicious) night towards:
1) The one who associates partners with Allah Ta’ala
2) One who harbours ill-will against his fellow beings
3) One who cuts himself off from his near relatives
4) One who hangs his clothes over his ankles
5) One who is disobedient to his parents
6) One who has a habit of drinking wine
How to value this night:
1) There is no specific ibaadah that we have to do but we can do any good actions that will make Allah Ta’ala happy.
2) 5 main worships we can all do are:
A) Tilawat of the Qur’an
B) Zikr of Allah Ta’ala
C) Giving sadaqah
D) Du’a and Tawbah (including reading the Sunnah dua for this night, click here)
E) Standing in Salah
3) Raise your hands and have your prayers answered. Don’t forget to ask for:
– Allah Ta’ala’s mercy and forgiveness
– Allah Ta’ala to remove the difficulties of this life and the hereafter
– Allah Ta’ala to keep us upon Iman
– Ease at the time of death, ease in the grave, ease on the day of reckoning and ease forever in Jannah
4) If we are not able to do the above, the most important thing is we don’t commit any sins or waste time.
May Allah Ta’ala give us the ability to value every moment of this special night and include us with His chosen servants.