Virtues of Ilm (Knowledge)
Knowledge is very valuable and the more knowledge a person has the more value he holds in the eyes of everyone around him.
While the knowledge of things in this world make a person valuable in the eyes of the people, the knowledge regarding Religion (Islam, Quran, hadeeth etc) make a person extremely valuable in the eyes of Allah Ta’ala and the creations in the heavens and earth.
Lets us look at a few virtues of acquiring ilm (knowledge):
1) Angels lay their wings for the student of deen. (Abu Dawud)
2) The inhabitants of the heavens and earth, even the fish in the depths of the water, seek forgiveness for a person of ilm (knowledge). (Abu Dawud)
3) The people of ilm (knowledge) are the inheritors of the Prophets. (Tirmidhi)
4) The path of Jannah is made easy for the one who travels in search of ilm (knowledge). (Muslim)
5) Verily, Allah, his angels, the inhabitants of the heavens and earth, even the ant in his hole and the fish, send blessings upon the one who (after seeking knowledge) teaches people what is good. (Tirmidhi)
6) It is a sign that Allah Ta’ala wishes good for a person as in the hadeeth we find that when Allah Ta’ala intends goodness for someone, he gives him an understanding of the religion. (Bukhari)
7) Our beloved Nabi ﷺ has described the person who learns and teaches the Quran as the best of the people. (Bukhari)
Let us all become students of Islam by:
1) Learning to read the Quran, memorising it and understanding it.
2) Memorise as many duas and sunnah as possible.
3) Study under a teacher.
4) Read good Islamic books authored by reliable ulama.
5) Listen to lectures by good reliable scholars/ulama.